Welcome to WendyRoomCreations. I love all kinds of crafts from patchwork and quilting to embroidery, crochet, knitting, felt and paper-making. I hope you will enjoy reading about my latest projects and I look forward to welcoming you into my world.

Monday 6 January 2014

Rain, rain go away.....

Thanks to the jet stream we have been having some really awful weather.  From the tip of Cornwall, right up the western coast of the UK everyone has been getting soaked.  High winds, high tides and lots and lots of rain.  My heart goes out to all those that had their Christmas and New Year ruined because of these freak weather conditions.

Yesterday I went out with my camera and took a few snaps of some of the local floods.

These are taken in the Melksham area of Wiltshire where the River Avon has burst its banks:






And these are the same river but taken from the A350 at Beanacre:








These fields are right by one of the busiest roads in Wiltshire and are allowed to flood in the hope of saving Bath which is a few miles further down the river - it didn't work this year.  We have had so much rain the fields were already sodden and could not cope with any more.

Beyond Bath is Bristol and because of the high winds and high tides pushing water up the River Severn when these waters met the River Avon even Bristol flooded.

(On the plus side - we are going to look Oop Noarth at the end of the week for a new home.  At least we will be able to see those liable to flooding!)

Philippa xx

6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. We had the flooding in the spring. How is the house sale coming along. Did the potential buyers sell their house?

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted a reply yesterday but for some reason it is not showing so I will reply again. We have the buyers' surveyor coming today and hopefully all will be well. We should be completing end-February/beginning March. We're also going up to Cumbria tonight to view some houses tomorrow. At least with this awful weather we will be able to see which houses are likely to get flooded! I hope you are staying warm. Philippa xx

      Delete
  2. It looks very, very cold and miserable over there!! Seems to me that the perfect place would be in front of a cozy fire, stitching away!! Happy house hunting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Sarah Lizzie that I would much prefer to be cozily sewing. Instead I've got a busy few days working and then house viewing so not likely to be able to pick up a needle until Sunday. How will I cope? Philippa xx

      Delete
  3. It's a bit gloomy alright, but kind of beautiful in it's own way. It is snowing here like crazy. Not sure which I prefer. Anyway, happy house hunting. That should be fun : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water levels in our area have dropped but driving along the motorway yesterday we could still see lots of flooding. My hearts go out to those people with flooded homes. The house viewings were really exciting. All the houses were lovely but 3 out of the 4 were eliminated. The 4th deserves a 2nd viewing. Maybe then they will have tidied up and made the beds!!! The tidiest bedroom was the teenager's. The estate agent apologetically said we just had to imagine how it could look. We'll be back up there in a fortnight with hopefully other houses to see as well.

      Delete