Welcome to WendyRoomCreations. I love all kinds of crafts from patchwork and quilting to embroidery, crochet, knitting, felt and paper-making. I hope you will enjoy reading about my latest projects and I look forward to welcoming you into my world.

Monday 6 January 2014

Simplifying and Thrifting.....

......are two of my intentions for this year.  In common with many others Christmas saw me spend far too much money and put a lot of that spend on my credit card.  There was a time when I refused to have such a piece of plastic and indeed my father who was my bank manager (yes seriously he was a bank manager) brought me up to only spend the money that was in my bank account.  When I did get such a card I deliberately chose one that had a picture of a pig on it to make me question my reasons for using it, however, when that one expired I didn't get to choose a similar picture and only got sent a plain one.

I have set myself the target of clearing the card before we relocate Oop Noarth (the Best Beloved corrected my previous spelling).  I hope thereafter to demonstrate a greater restraint in its use.

When I was a lot younger and money was very much in short supply I used to keep a notebook/ledger of every penny I spent and budgeted for every bill.  I may not have had much left over at the end of each week but I never went hungry, failed to pay a bill or even was at risk of losing my home...and I always had all the money I needed for Christmas.  How is it that I have got so lazy and lax just because money is not quite so tight?  I think it is about time I gave myself a good talking to and got back into line.  As part of my thrifting intention I am going to rein in my frivolous spending and buy more in line with what I need rather than what I would like.

Christmas is over now, the tree is undecorated and packed away, and the mantelpiece is dusted.  I spent a very happy hour or so cutting up the Christmas cards and making them into next Christmas gift tags.  I've thought about doing this for years but never seem to get around to it and end up just throwing away the cards.  But I decided this would be a good thrifting exercise and a great way to use yet more of the red and white string I bought last spring.






Now all I have got to do is make sure I put them away with the wrapping paper so they don't get lost and I end up buying brand new ones again.

Philippa xx

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! I have saved Christmas cards for years. I saw where someone took them and punched holes in the edge and blanket stitched then crocheted little borders on them to make bunting. Also a cute idea. I must do something with them! So cute.
    (I love your blog. I'm going to list it on my sidebar)

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how very festive this bunting must have looked and so original. It always seems such a shame to me that we just throw away the cards at the end of the season when so many of them are really lovely pictures. I keep thinking of lots of ways to re-use them. Maybe I ought to keep a notebook for my ideas because by the time Christmas comes round again I will have forgotten. Thank you for putting me on your sidebar. You are the first and I feel very flattered. Philippa xx

      Delete
  2. Your pressies next Christmas will look oh so spiffy with your lovely recycled gift tags!! What a clever and thrify idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure this idea is not original to me but it feels good not to have wasted this resource and to save money next Christmas. As I've said to Cindy above I need a notebook to jot down my ideas in because my memory is useless and it is so frustrating to think of something one minute only to forget it the next. Philippa xx

      Delete