Welcome to WendyRoomCreations. I love all kinds of crafts from patchwork and quilting to embroidery, crochet, knitting, felt and paper-making. I hope you will enjoy reading about my latest projects and I look forward to welcoming you into my world.

Monday 6 February 2012

The night I slept rough


Beds are nice aren't they?  I was lying in my bed last Saturday morning (28 January) thinking how comfortable it was, how safe I felt and just how lovely it was to feel warm from my head to my toes.  Then I wondered whether I would feel the same way that night because that night I was taking part in the sponsored sleepout for Doorway, the charity based in Chippenham who support homeless people in North Wiltshire and work with them to get them back into society.  I knew I had my sleeping bag that was insulated for temperatures down to -14 degrees, I had lots and lots of cardboard boxes thanks to my son who had recently moved, I had lots of warm layers to wear, and I had generous sponsorship of many people so pride said I couldn't back out now.  Now why should a woman of 52 who is not always in the best of health want to sleep rough?  Only because I have always wondered what it is like and because unlike many, I have never had to.   

So at 7pm I dutifully turned up at St Andrews Church, Chippenham with my ready supplies of cardboard, tarpaulin and sleeping bag, and joined the 40 other people who were going to be sleeping rough with me.  There was a varied selection of "bedrooms" being constructed and many people already gathered around the burning fire pit.  Everyone seemed very jovial but there was a tangible sense of nervousness as the temperature started to drop.  For me the hardest part was actually getting into my sleeping bag inside my cardboard tube, and getting out again was just as difficult.  I swear having a baby was easier.  However, once in I can honestly say it was surprisingly warm and comfortable but then again I did have about 6 layers on.  Sleep was the hardest part as those church bells which sound so lovely from my house, were REALLY ANNOYING when the clock chimed ever quarter of an hour.  I can honestly say that the only one I didn't hear was the one o'clock chime.  Also Chippenham is really noisy all through the night.  Traffic never stops, young people are heading home or out at all times of the night, and music always seemed to be playing.  We were fortunate in that those of us "sleeping rough" were all grouped together and there were stewards up all night to keep an eye on our security. 
 
We were all kept safe but imagine if you were a homeless person how it must be to feel physically vulnerable the second you close your eyes, for sleep to be constantly interrupted either by noise or by being moved on, and perhaps not having the relative warmth and comfort that we had.  I feel I have gained some insight into all those things.  Am I glad I did it?  Yes undoubtedly.  Would I do it again?  Very probably not.  As they say, been there, done that - got rid of the cardboard now!

No comments:

Post a Comment